He’s three sheets in the bag

Couldn’t wait until next week to post this beauty.  This is another congruent conflation (mixed idioms with the same or similar meaning), combining “three sheets to the wind” and “half in the bag”, both describing someone who is intoxicated.  The confusion might also lie in sheets sometimes being in laundry bags?  Then again, the speaker, Lisa Davies O’Donnell, might have just had a few too many…  Thanks Lisa for contributing to the malaphor library!

foster.png?w=600&h=0&zc=1&s=0&a=t&q=89

Advertisements

6 Comments on “He’s three sheets in the bag”

1. Nancy Green says:

Hi, Dave: Don’t know if this is a malaphor or not but here goes – old Southern saying, “don’t get your drawers in a wad”, meaning don’t get so upset…. Hope things are going well with all of you. Jean has been having a pretty rough time with taking several chemos but presently they seem to be working and she is feeling much better.

Love to all of your family, Nancy Green

• davemalaphor says:

Dave

• davemalaphor says:

Nancy, I think that is just a saying and not any conflation of two or more idioms. I used to hear it as “panties”. Maybe that’s an updated version. Perhaps it was bloomers in the 19th Century! Say hi to Jean from us and hope she is on the mend. Dave

On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 11:25 AM, Malaphors wrote:

2. Brady, Edward says:

Dave:

I think I have a new one: I heard someone recently say “I think I have put in my stripes” This appears to be a mash up of “I earned my stripes” and “I put in my time.”

I hope all is well.

Take care,

Ed

3. jcosjunk@gmail.com says:

So how many of your fans will recognize Foster Brooks?

Baseball? Any chance for a get together? I have been distracted by sox poor play but would like to join forces to see agame.

Sent from my iPhone