Contact

If you hear or see a malaphor, please let me know by dropping a comment on the website.  Please include who said it and/or where you heard/saw it.

504 Comments on “Contact”

1. Teri Snedegar says:

My husband and I were out to dinner with friends and he mixed “That really burns me up” with “gets your goat”. It came out as, “That really burns my goat!” I couldn’t stop laughing as I pictured a goat bursting into flames.

2. Barry Eigen says:

A new one for your “quench” page: “This should quench your curiosity,” a mashup of “quench your thirst” and “satisfy your curiosity.” The source is a website called Quora, and a posting about Paul McCartney’s brother. The exact quote is: “I’m sure I have others but this should quench your curiosity.” (The reference to “others” is to pictures of Paul and his brother.) https://www.quora.com/Who-is-Paul-McCartney-s-brother-and-what-does-he-look-like

3. Barry Eigen says:

My wife and I are binge watching The Sopranos in anticipation of the new prequel movie that will be coming out in a couple of weeks. In season 2, episode 3, Tony Soprano’s teenage daughter, Meadow, has a party that gets out of control and requires police intervention. Tony gets her out of trouble with the police and says to her as they’re driving home: “Just lucky I knew that cop, so he cut me a favor.” It’s a mashup of “cut me a break” and “did me a favor.” I don’t know why (and apropos of nothing) but the syntax of this malaphor reminds me of when I was kid growing up in NYC. I’d call up to my mother (on the 4th floor of an apartment building) “Throw me out the window a ball.”

• davemalaphor says:

Excellent one. Did you know I included several Sopranos’ malaphors in my first book, He Smokes Like a Fish (and other malaphors)”? Colorful language and characters is a breeding ground for malaphors.

• Barry Eigen says:

I have the book (as any right-thinking person should), but I didn’t remember that. I’ll check it out.

4. JAC says:

An old Headmaster at my English secondary school (all boys), referring in an assembly to poor behaviour (I recall that it might have had something to do with hair length) uttered the immortal line “… and if this rule is not abided by, then the cookies will come home to roost, that I promise!”

Cue bemused, muffled laughter.

5. Barry Eigen says:

Merry New Year! I have a new malaphor sighting and a more recent sighting of one you already have. 1. Yesterday, I received a political email asking for money (as don’t we all?) from Lucas Kunce, who’s running for the U.S. Senate in Missouri. The email opens: “Hey Barry — I know you probably got a lot of emails today from my team and others ahead of tonight’s big FEC deadline. [No kidding.] So I’ll keep this quick. . . .” I believe that this is a mashup of “I’ll keep this short” and “I’ll make this quick.” Looking on the Internet, I found one other use of this malaphor, from 4 years ago: https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls/comments/7ku0b5/ill_keep_this_quick_what_are_some_casual/.
    2. You already have this one, but maybe you’d like it for your files anyway. I started watching a new series called “Hawkeye” on Disney+, and in the very first episode a character says: “I guess the beans are out of the bag.”

Cheers

6. verbatim says:

In a conference call with my boss who says, “I’d just like to throw something out of the box.”

It sound like a combination of “throw out an idea” and “think outside the box”

7. davemalaphor says:

Good one! Will post soon. Thanks again. Dave

8. Torre Thompson says:

On CNN’s YouTube Channel in a segment entitled ‘Doctor Responds to Journalist’s Covid Restriction Comments’ the former FDA commissioner, Dr. Jonathan Reiner, states (at 5:20) that ending restrictions “…is easier to do when we’re all singing from the same page here.” I believe this is a mixing ‘singing the same tune’ and ‘on the same page’, different expressions with the same meaning and pretty mild as far as malaphors go.

9. verbatim says:

Two of my friends talking. One correctly guesses the answer to some question they are contemplating. The other one says, “you hit the nail on the button.”

This is combination of “hit the nail on the head” and “on the button”, both meaning “precise”.

10. Recently a client in counseling was trying to describe to me his feelings of stress: “It’s like an 800 lb gorilla on my chest”.

11. Peter H says:

On tonight’s AppleTV MLB broadcast of the Padres / Braves game, the commentator described one of the players as “biting at the chomp”.